Salad with Manchego and Sherry Vinaigrette
½ cup blanched almond halves
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
Abundant salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 five-ounce bag spinach
1 tub baby arugula
Red onion rings
6 ounces manchego cheese, shaved
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. On a sheet pan, toast the almonds for 5-8 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix the sherry vinegar, garlic, mustard, and salt and pepper. Slowly stir in the olive oil and sesame oil. Set aside.
3. Mix spinach and arugula, red onion, and manchego cheese. Pour over most of the dressing and toss. Divide onto salad plates.
4. Drizzle with more dressing if necessary and top with almonds.
Spanish Saffron “Fried Rice”
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 large red bell pepper, blackened, peeled, chopped
1 bunch scallions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
3 cups cold cooked long grain rice
¼ teaspoon saffron threads soaked in 2 tablespoons boiling water
½ cup green peas, thawed
¼ cup sliced Manzanilla olives
1. Heat the olive oil in a wide skillet. Add the bay leaf, bell pepper, scallions, garlic, and red pepper flake. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat until reduced, about 10 minutes.
2. Raise heat and crumble the rice into the skillet. Sprinkle with the saffron water and stir. Add the peas, stirring and turning constantly until the rice is hot and has absorbed any juices from the pan.
3. Stir in parsley and olives.
8 oz grassfed ground beef
1 cup panko
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 scallions, chopped fine
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
½ teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup red wine
16 oz crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons paprika
½ teaspoon or more red pepper flake
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
Slices of crusty bread
1. In a bowl, thoroughly mix together the beef, breadcrumbs, cheese, tomato paste, garlic, scallions, egg, thyme, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 12 to 15 firm balls.
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook for several minutes or until browned on all sides. Add wine to deglaze and permit to reduce to a syrup, shaking to move the meatballs around.
3. Add the tomatoes, paprika, red pepper flake, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for around 20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked. Serve hot with crusty bread.