Roasted sweet potato salad with apples
“I really wanted to pull together a new spin on traditional fall flavors as we near Thanksgiving. The tart apples combined with the warmth of sweet potatoes offer all the feeling of autumn in a healthy, tasteful salad. ”
Prep time: 35 - 40 min
Cook time: 20 - 30 min.
- 4 cups large-diced sweet potatoes, well scrubbed
- 1 red onion, large diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 crisp red/pink apples such as fuji or gala, diced
- ½ cup toasted walnut halves
- ¾ cup coarsely diced celery
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 and toss the sweet potatoes and red onion with the olive oil. Bake until tender and caramelized about 20-30 minutes. Permit to cool. (To cool quickly, have a sheet pan in the freezer, spread hot potatoes on it, and return to the freezer for a few minutes).
- Mix the cooled potato mixture with the remaining ingredients and toss to mix well. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.